20 hours per week
339 N Washington St, Butler, PA 16001
The Swim Instructor is responsible for the direct leadership, proper instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes; helping to increase skill and safety in and around water. The incumbent accepts and demonstrates the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent, preferred, ongoing training provided in-house.
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
- First Aid Certification.
- Instruct swimming lessons as assigned in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.