20 hours per week
Rose E. Schneider Family YMCA
2001 Ehrman Road Cranberry Twp., PA 16066
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Swim Instructor at the Rose E. Schneider Family YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The incumbent will be responsible for the direct leadership, proper instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes; helping to increase skill and safety in and around water.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Minimum age of 15.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent, preferred, ongoing training provided in-house.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification required.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of different ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual, and generational backgrounds.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks snd writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high -value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Instruct swimming lessons as assigned in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Build effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
- Convey information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintain records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Complete incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organize and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Train and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Follow all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
The Rose E. Schneider Family YMCA offers more than just a job; we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting, positive difference in your community. Discover your passion at the Rose E. Schneider Family YMCA.
Apply online for an amazing career opportunity, sharing your talents, passion, and values with the Rose E. Schneider Family YMCA community!