Youth & Family Staff
Part-Time Hours Available
Rose E Schneider Family YMCA
2001 Ehrman Road
Cranberry Twp., PA 16066
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Youth & Family Staff intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The incumbent is responsible for providing a safe, caring and fun learning environment while working in the Youth & Family Department.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Experience working with children.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification within 30 days of hire.
- Mature judgement and sound decision-making skills a must.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks snd writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high -value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with children, parents and other staff. Model relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
- Provide leadership, supervision and care for children throughout all program areas.
- Plan and implement program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Assist children in finding and engaging in appropriate activities.
- Ensure that an adult signs each child in and out of KidQuarium and the Youth & Family Center according to established procedures.
- Follow opening & closing procedures of the Youth & Family Department. Inspect for areas of concern; i.e., cleanliness, damage to equipment, unsafe areas, etc.
- Provide a quality experience for families and children with Birthday Parties.
- Enforce the rules and behavior expectations of the area.
- Monitor, interact and engage with the youth while they are using the Rose E. Schneider Family YMCA facilities.
- Establish positive relationships with parents, children, staff members and volunteers; be a positive role model.
- Maintain program areas and adhere to program standards in regards to equipment, storage, safety and cleanliness.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.