Youth Center Mentor
339 North Washington Street
Butler, PA 16001
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Youth Center Mentor at the Butler YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The incumbent will be responsible for providing a safe, caring and fun activity-based environment for children ages 6 years and older while parents are utilizing the YMCA facilities.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Minimum age of 17.
- CPR/First Aid/AED certification required within 30 days of employment.
- Mature judgement and sound decision-making skills a must.
- Healthy Living Online Certification completion within 60 days of hire.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks snd writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high -value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with children, parents and other staff. Model relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
- Provide supervision and care for children 6 years and older.
- Plan and implement program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Assist children in finding and engaging in appropriate activities.
- Ensure that an adult signs each child ages 6-7 in and out of the Youth Center according to established procedures.
- Follow opening and closing procedures of the Youth Center. Inspect for areas of concern; i.e., cleanliness, damage to equipment, unsafe areas, etc.
- Enforce the rules of behavior expectations of the area.
- Maintain program areas and adhere to program standards in regards to equipment, storage, safety and cleanliness.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.