Summer Outdoor Activity Coordinator
Full-Time / Seasonal
339 North Washington Street
Butler, PA 16001
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Summer Outdoor Activity Coordinator intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The incumbent is responsible for assistance with the food preparation and service of meals to the South Hills Playground location. In addition, they will plan and implement educational activities for children attending the playground that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with the YMCA Values.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Minimum of 2 years college completed, in the field of Education or related field.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of different ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual, and generational backgrounds.
- Experience working with children required.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Related food service experience preferred.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification required within 30 days of employment.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Develop, write and implement weekly activities that include environment, movement, games, arts/crafts, and science.
- Develop a quality curriculum and incorporate the YMCA Core Values and character development in all program activities.
- Assist in the daily operations of the summer food program food preparation.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness in all food preparation and storage areas.
- Perform excellent food service to all children.
- Show exceptional service by being welcoming, nurturing, genuine, determined, and hopeful.
- Responsible for the preparation, organization and inventory of food items.
- lead and teach the importance of healthy eating and physical activity.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times according to the YMCA Code of Conduct.
- Actively participate in YMCA events and activities and adhere to the YMCA Core Values.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- Work schedule will include daytime hours and ability to travel to the program activity site.