Assistant Swim Coach
Part-Time / 15-20 Hours per week
339 North Washington Street
Butler, PA 16001
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Assistant Swim Coach at the Butler YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The incumbent, under the direction of the Head Swim Coach, is responsible for managing the Butler YMCA Swim Team – a USA Swimming Program.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills a must.
- YMCA or USA coaching experience preferred.
- Swim Coach Online Certification completion within 30 days of hire.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification as well as Lifeguarding Certification is required.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks snd writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high -value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Lead practices of the group(s) given by the Head Swim Coach with care and excitement.
- Provide swimmers knowledge to understand and master strokes allowing for movement up through the swim team groups.
- Be on deck before swimmers begin practice, to greet swimmers and parents.
- Assist with set up and running of swim meets as deemed necessary by the Head Swim Coach.
- Communicate effectively with the Head Swim Coach about daily practice procedures, emergencies and information regarding swimmers and the swim team well-being.
- Provide constructive feedback that will enhance swimmer’s techniques.
- Maintain structure and discipline within a group setting, while encouraging and promoting student participation in a positive manner.
- Engage parents and cultivate relationships to create a collaborative swim team environment.
- Actively participate in YMCA events and activities and adhere to the YMCA Core Values.
- Ensure the YMCA goals of fun, teamwork, sportsmanship and skill development are met on a weekly basis.
- Assist with maintaining pool areas in regards to equipment, safety, inventory and cleanliness.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Be a good role model of the SMART pledge for simmers to emulate.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting. Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor/outdoor locations.
- Work schedule will include daytime hours and ability to travel to the program activity sites.