Hourly / Seasonal / 40 hours per week
341 Centerville Pike
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Head Groundskeeper intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The incumbent is responsible for supervising staff while keeping park grounds, equipment and facilities in great working order.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience in the operation of motorized equipment such as push and riding mowers, string trimmers, edgers and hedge shears.
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate with other employees and the general public.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Supervise staff in maintaining park grounds and facilities.
- Clean buildings, pavilions and parking lots.
- Trim and prune tree branches.
- Operate and maintain power lawn mowers and equipment.
- Clean and maintain restrooms and locker rooms.
- Paint building surfaces, bleachers and picnic tables.
- Perform event/meeting set-up and breakdown, including chairs and tables.
- Monitor and report needed maintenance repairs appropriately.
- Eliminate safety, sanitary and/or fire hazards as necessary.
- Respond to emergency cleanups, such as spills, clogged drains, etc.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.