Position: Summer Camp Counselor
Monday through Friday weekday hours
Where: Butler YMCA
339 N Washington St, Butler, PA 16001
Start Date: end of May through August
Provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
• At least 18 years of age.
• High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
• Previous experience working with children preferably in a day camp setting.
• Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, camping, songs/music, theatre, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc.
• First Aid/CPR/AED certification.
1. Supervise a group of children.
2. Assist in providing a quality program, taking into consideration the needs of each child and the goals and objectives of the YMCA
3. Develop, write, and implement weekly lesson plans that include the environment, movement, games, arts/crafts, science, field trips, guest speakers and special events.
4. Plan and implement program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
5. Maintain program areas and adheres to program standards in regards to equipment, storage, safety and cleanliness.
6. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
7. Cultivates positive relationships and maintains effective communication with parents, children and other staff. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
8. Ensure the safety and health of all campers through proper supervision at all times. Actively participate with all children.
9. Assist in pool supervision by monitoring around the deck area, or in the water with the campers.